Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I Resolve To.....

Rather than making a list of resolutions to improve my life at the start of every new year, for the last few years I have preferred to take a few moments to renew my personal commitment to doing my very best at each and every task that I undertake on a daily basis. 


There was a time that the list of resolutions was my preferred path, however.  When I worked in my full time career and my life ran in what felt like a hundred different directions, the order and structure that a goal list provided was very helpful.  There is a wonderful sense of accomplishment that comes from setting and completing a goal or task and crossing it off of the list.  Or of resolving to make a life change, and then successfully getting through the period of time that it takes for the change to become habit.


These days, between getting ready for a big move, working on a house remodeling project, making plans to reopen my Etsy shop in the spring and getting back into blogging, my life is full of daily goal and to-do lists.  And I love the challenge of starting and the accomplishment of finishing each and every item! 


Hand in hand with my commitment to do my very best at every thing, every day is the commitment that I make to let go of any idea that my best isn't good enough.  When you know that you have put your best into something, I feel that you owe it to yourself to accept the results, and not to beat yourself up about any shortcomings, real or perceived. 


Self acceptance and self forgiveness are fundamental characteristics of self love, and the peace that
results from practicing them is immeasurable to me.


How do you feel about resolutions in the new year?  Do you make them?  And if you do, do you generally keep them, or break them?

The roses shown here were a welcome home and happy new year gift from one of my closest
friends.  Aren't they just beautiful?

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I hope that 2013 is the very best year that any of us have ever had!

xoxo,
Anita

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pink roses! I'm in the midst of designing some pink rose pillows for a special young lady, and these are wonderful inspiration.
    No resolutions for me, although I am something of a list-maker. Every so often I have to go through and get all the lists together and knock off the things that are no longer important, combine the duplicates, and reprioritize everything. Basically it's just another one of my ways of procrastinating, but it always feels good to have a nice, manageable to-do list.
    Hope 2013 is the best ever for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do usually, but I just don't really feel like it this year. I like looking at them from time to time, to reassess my priorities, but honestly they don't change much from year to year. So I'm not motivated to make a new list this year!

    Happy New Years Anita!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita