Sunday, March 10, 2013

On Loss, Acceptance, And Moving On



We have had a pair of big losses here the last few months, first my father, in the fall, and then the mister's mother, just last month.  Loss is nothing new to me; my own mother passed away unexpectedly when I was still in college.  Having had that experience, I had naively thought that when a passing was expected, when there was time to say good bye, that the loved one now gone had lived a long, beautiful life, that it would somehow be easier.  I can now unequivocally state that I was wrong.  Utterly, totally and completely wrong.  I was only just starting to make peace with the loss of my father when we were blindsided by the death of my (future) mother in law.  Although her passing was not unexpected, we were hoping for more time.  Gratefully however, we did not behave as if there was more time.


Pictured above, Christmas 2012, is the mister, holding our fur baby Phoebe, his mom, dad, and me, holding Dawson.  We also returned to Florida in January to celebrate her 88th birthday.  Eighty-eight!  It certainly was a beautiful life well lived.  And that helps to ease the pain.

As you may know if you have visited here before, we have been planning a major move for over a year now. I had sincerely thought as 2013 began that by now it would be much further along; that my studio space in our new home up north would be complete, and that I would be back to work, albeit part time.  However, that was just a bit too optimistic of me!  But the news is good.  We are making progress, and I fully expect to be sharing details of the process (just the creative parts: I won't bore you with the tedious!) very, very soon.

I would also like to thank those of you who have sent an email, a tweet or left a Facebook comment during this unexpected absence from blogging.  Your support and friendship means so much.  I am finding inspiration on this first day of daylight savings time; it feels like a new season and a fresh start.  And that's a good thing!

Thank you so much for reading.

xoxo, Anita

p.s. I cannot let pass an opportunity to give a shout out to two of my favorite things, hand made and small business, by telling you that the green silk lounge wear I am wearing in the photo above was made just for me by one of my favorite shops on Etsy, Sandmaiden.  Give it a visit!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely to see a post from you and I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad and Mother-in-Law. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was just going to say something
    about the lovely snuggliness you're wearing in that photo:)
    and i again send warm hugs and a sad sigh
    for your loss....reaching out across the miles
    just to hold your hand for a moment
    and squeeze gently
    to let you know that i'm here
    and i care.
    daffodil love to you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! So many losses, and so much sadness to process. Preparing yourself helps to some extent, I suppose, but I agree, it's always a shock. What a nice thing that you were able to visit in January.
    With your lovely outlook I know you'll manage to grieve and at the same time find joy in each little flower and bird of springtime.
    I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An Edwardian lady in full dress was a wonder to behold, and her preparations for viewing were awesome.silks saree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I'm looking forward to seeing you back here soon!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita