Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Learning Curves


When I wrote this post back in January, I really thought that I had my life and schedule under control.  I thought that I would be back to sitting in front of my laptop and working on blog content for hours on end several days a week.  Turns out that I didn't have things nearly as under control as I thought that I did!

So why am I finding it so challenging?  That is a really good question, and one that I have given seemingly endless hours of thought to.  I have managed come up with several answers to this question, some that I am working to address, and some that I have had to give myself permission to accept. 


The first thing that I have to accept is that big life events come with their very own set of baggage, some of which we never anticipated.  Things that absorb our time and divert our focus.  In the midst of dealing with a new reality I can feel myself thinking about my blog and being creative, but in an unfamiliar way, unable to see a clear path to getting to it.  There are things that happen that take your entire focus and all of your thoughts, and we just need to allow our minds to work it through until one day we realize that it is not the ONLY thing we are thinking about.  When that time comes, there is room for considering creativity again.


Another thing that I've had to accept is that considering creativity is not the same as being creative.  The thoughts, ideas and inspiration that fuel our creative processes don't originate on their own.  And mindlessly pacing through my daily routines doesn't cut it, either.  I have to get out of my comfort zone, pick up a camera, and start to really look at things again. 


That's where I am now.  Looking for the inspiration around me, seeing the beauty in the day, the possibilities in the moments, and challenging myself to step outside of my current comfort zone.  I am excited to see where this mindset takes me!  For the first time in what feels like a very long time, I am looking beyond accomplishing my daily to do list toward bringing something into my world that did not exist there before.

What fuels your creativity, dear friend?  I would love to hear!

xo, Anita

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos - looks like spring is coming to your part of the world!
    Do we ever have anything under control? Haha. You have had an incredibly busy year-plus with constant upheaval - you might still be in recovery mode. :) Or, you might have so many projects on your list that you just don't know where to start (that's my problem most of the time).
    But if it's truly a lack of inspiration, I find that a change usually does it (like you need more change!). Driving through an unfamiliar part of town (I think better while driving than walking, some people do better while hiking), or listening to a completely new type of music, attending a lecture on a topic I would not normally choose... These are the kinds of things that stimulate me to go forth and create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I also forgot to mention that sometimes the idea of blogging becomes a burden that actually gets in the way of doing the thing you would blog about. I know that several of our blogger friends have chosen to spend their precious time doing things and not blogging about them. I miss them, but it's their life, after all! :)
    Okay that's enough out of me.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita